Three killed in taking pictures at warehouse social gathering in Boyle Heights

Three people were killed and four others injured in a shooting at a party at a warehouse in Boyle Heights early Sunday, Los Angeles Police Department said.

Officers received a call around 12:30 a.m. from someone requesting help for a friend who had been shot dead at the 1400 block of South Lorena Street, Los Angeles Police Department officer Luis Garcia said. When officers arrived, they discovered three men who had been shot, he said.

A total of LAPD Det. Frank Carrillo said three people were killed and four others were taken to the hospital. “Some are stable, some are not so stable,” he said.

The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office on Monday identified two of the victims as Randy Tyson, 25, and Daniel Dunbar, 27.

A third man, who has not yet been identified, was pronounced dead at a local hospital, according to LAPD spokesman Bruce Borihanh. No arrests were made.

“No suspicious information as of this morning, no motive yet,” Borihanh said.

Carrillo said the guns used in the shooting were semi-automatic. He also noted that an invitation to the party had been circulated on social media.

Local rapper MoneySign $uede reportedly performed at the party earlier in the evening. The artist offered his condolences in an Instagram post on Sunday.

“I am praying for all the people who were injured and died last night. My condolences and heart go out to all the families of this injury. Didn’t want all of this to happen. I was on my way home when I got the call…to those who still support me through everything, I love you!”

Councilman Kevin de León, whose district Boyle Heights is a part of, said Sunday’s shooting was “symbolic of the relentless gun violence at the national level.”

“The urgency to pass serious gun control legislation and rid our streets of weapons of war is long overdue,” he said.

Carrillo said he believes the shooting was the deadliest gun-related incident in Los Angeles that year. He said there was an exchange of gunfire and detectives are still trying to determine who is a suspect and who is a victim of the shooting.

In January, four people were killed and one person injured after more than 40 rounds of ammunition were fired at a birthday party in Inglewood.

Neighbors at the Boyle Heights warehouse said they heard the shots.

“The gunshots woke us up,” said Patty Calzada, who lives two doors down from the warehouse. She said she saw the commotion through her security camera.

Many of the young people who fled the building after the shooting looked underage, she said. “They screamed and screamed,” Calzada said.

Another resident said his wife woke him up after hearing two gunshots: a salvo of 10 shots and then a round of five shots a minute later. The man, who gave only his first name, Gilbert, said his wife told him the young people walking down the street looked no older than 16 or 17.

Neighbors said there had been previous parties at the warehouse which had attracted police attention. In addition, a week ago, a young girl was hit by a car outside the building, neighbors said.

Police cordon tape stretched several blocks around the warehouse Sunday afternoon. Several young people, many looking distraught, arrived at the scene hoping to get information about what had happened to their relatives.

Andre Preston said his brother Brandon Castro, 18, was in hospital after being shot.

Preston, who spoke to detectives outside the warehouse on Sunday, said he knew little of his brother’s condition despite spending nine hours in the hospital.

He said he was told by relatives that his brother went to a rapper’s gig.

“My little brother happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time,” said Preston, 22.

Authors Laura Newberry and Hayley Smith contributed to this report.

Comments are closed.