The products featured in this article have been independently reviewed. When you buy something through the retail links on this page, we may earn commission at no cost to you, the reader. The Sports Illustrated editorial team is not involved in the creation of this content. Learn more here.
Improving your fitness is always a worthy goal, and we know it can feel overwhelming trying to figure out exactly what workout to do and how to do it. It’s often easiest to follow simple workout instructions, and that’s where fitness apps come in. Today, there are more apps than ever that provide virtual instruction, workout programs, community and even virtual personal training.
You can pick the best workout app for you based on your fitness goals and access to equipment. For example, do you have a home gym? There are apps that help you crush your workout right from your garage or living room. Need the motivation of a dedicated coach? There are apps that connect you with a personal trainer. Looking to build muscle or lose weight? There’s an app for that.
Whether you’re looking to improve your mile time, add two inches to your biceps, lose some belly fat or get personalized workouts from an online trainer, our guide to the best workout apps will help you find an effective tool for any goal and fitness level.
Our Picks for the Best Workout Apps for Men:
- Best Workout App for Men for Personal Training: Future
- Best Customizable Workout App for Men: Nike Training Club
- Best Workout App for Men for Fitness Classes: Fiit
- Best Workout App for Men for Beginners: MapMyRun
- Best Variety Workout App for Men: ClassPass
- Best Interactive Workout App for Men: Aaptiv
- Best Outdoor Workout App for Men: Strava
- Best Weightlifting Workout App for Men: Jefit
Enjoy a 30 day free trial – sign up today!
- You’re connected with a coach who will design custom workouts for you and answer your messages and questions
- 4.9/5 star rating on Apple (not available on Android)
- No free trial
- Best for those who want customized workouts and access to a coach.
If you’re looking for an online coach to design custom workouts, update your program based on your schedule and answer any and all questions that come up, Future is one of the best options on the market.
When you join, you’ll take a detailed quiz about your current fitness level and fitness goals. From there, you’ll be paired with a personal trainer who helps you come up with a personalized workout plan. Future promises its coaches are always a text or call away to keep you motivated and help you stay accountable. Coaches come from a wide variety of training specialties and backgrounds. Whether you’re into running, sports performance or strength training, Future has a coach for you. At any time, if you’re unsatisfied with your coach, you can select a different coach to work with.
At $149/month, it’s not the cheapest app, but it’s significantly cheaper than working with a personal trainer in person. Future is only available on iOS devices, the iPhone and Apple watch, but they plan to release it on Android in January 2023.
- Customized workouts
- Unlimited access to your coach
- Workouts built for your preferences, training goals and schedule
- $149/month isn’t a cheap membership fee
- Some users say it may take a day or so to hear back from your coach
Nike Training Club
- Variety of classes that let you build your own workout schedule
- 4.8/5 star rating on Apple, 4.3/5 star rating on Google Play
- The app is free; a paid premium plan is available that includes four- to six-week programs and nutritional guidance
- Best for those who want to train like an athlete by following Nike’s own coaches and athlete workouts
If you want to follow along with expert instructors via workout video, but still want the freedom to customize your own training plan, Nike Training Club is the app for you.
You can choose from a wide variety of workouts with different focuses, like sports performance, agility and strength training. You can pick and choose which workouts you want to add to your schedule and build your own workout routine over the week. No gym equipment? No problem. In addition to full-equipment home workouts, Nike Training Club offers 185+ bodyweight-only workout sessions and yoga classes.
Workouts are led by world-class trainers, and you can even train with your favorite athletes, like Ja Morant, Cristiano Ronaldo and Roger Federer. The app integrates with most smartwatches, allowing you to track your workouts with a tap of the wrist.
Another reason we love Nike Training Club is because of the holistic approach it takes to wellness. Not only does the app provide you with tips to improve your physical fitness, but it also offers insights on nutrition, recovery, mindset and sleep.
- Most of the features are free
- Access to world-class trainers
- Train with your favorite athletes and celebrities
- Schedule and create your own training program
- The premium features cost $14.99/month
- Wide variety of studio workout classes you can follow from home
- 4.8/5 star rating on Apple, 4.4/5 star rating on Google Play
- 14-day free trial
- Best for those who like high-paced, energetic workout classes
Fiit offers at-home fitness classes like you’d find at boutique studios or your local gym. That’s why it’s our pick for the best workout app for fitness classes.
Fiit has a wide variety of on-demand classes that make it difficult to get bored with your daily workout. Choose from classes like high intensity interval training (HIIT), weight training, functional movement, yoga, pilates, kettlebell classes, cardio workouts and even breathwork and stretching to help you unwind.
Want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your workout. You can purchase a Fiit tracker or pair the app with your tracking device, like an Apple Watch or Fitbit, to see metrics like your heart rate, reps and calories in real-time. You can also see where you stand on Fiit’s leaderboard to keep yourself motivated.
One thing we love about Fiit is that you can stream classes on almost any device, including your phone, laptop or most smart TVs, allowing you to workout at home or while traveling.
There are two membership options: $7.99/month and $19.99/month. The more expensive option includes premium features like community challenges, more than 1,000 prerecorded workouts, integration with treadmills and stationary bikes and advanced performance metrics.
- Variety of classes
- No equipment needed
- Easy to watch on nearly any device
- There’s no free plan
- No live classes
- Most of the workouts use bodyweight exercises, and some may prefer to use weights for building muscle
- Perfect for beginners who want to track their run
- 4.8/5 star rating on Apple, 4.7/5 star rating on Google Play
- Free app with premium features
- Best for those new to running
MapMyRun is Under Armour’s entry into the world of fitness apps, and a user-friendly choice for those just getting started with outdoor running. MapMyRun allows you to browse running routes in your area and take a detailed look at the route, elevation and challenge level before you start running.
The community allows you to follow your friends and the public feed, share your achievements and support other users along the way. Whether you’re carrying your phone or using a smartwatch, you’ll be able to track your running metrics in real time.
The premium plan, which costs $5.99/month, also allows you to follow training programs. If you’ve got a race on the horizon, you can choose a specific training plan to help you prepare for the big day.
- Simple, easy-to-use running tracker
- You can view the entire route ahead of time
- Premium features offer detailed training plans for races of all distances
- Built for running and can’t track other types of workouts
- Use your membership to book in-person classes in all kinds of studios
- 4.8/5 star rating on Apple, 3/5 star rating on Google Play
- 14-day free trial
- Best for those who like in-person training
ClassPass is unique in that it allows you to pick and choose live classes from in-person studios in your area. When you set up your membership, you’ll choose how many credits you’d like to purchase each month, and you’ll use those credits to book classes and sessions at local studios in your area.
All kinds of studios can choose to partner with ClassPass, including boxing, yoga, weight training, bootcamp, high-intensity interval training and more.
Class prices will vary based on the studio and session type, but the app will give you an estimate of how many classes you’ll be able to redeem at each membership level.
- One membership unlocks access to a variety of workout classes
- You can pick and choose where to redeem your credits each month
- Many studios partner with ClassPass
- The free 14-day trial allows you to book a few local classes completely free
- Studios that partner with ClassPass vary by region.
- Includes video and audio instructions from trainers as you workout
- 4.7/5 star rating on Apple, 4/5 star rating on Google Play
- Seven-day free trial
- Best for those looking for audio and video guidance and a supportive community
If you like interactive coaching that keeps you motivated with real-time audio instructions, you’ll probably enjoy using Aaptiv.
This fitness app features more than 6,000 on-demand audio workouts and workout videos with more added weekly, all led by Aaptiv’s team of trainers. Similar to Future, once you download Aaptiv from the app store, you’ll input your fitness goals, which can include anything from weight loss, to race training, improving your flexibility and more. You’ll be given a suggested workout plan, from which you can choose workouts based on duration, trainer and more.
Aaptiv’s workout routines are audio only, so no squinting at your screen to follow along. (You can also follow along with video instructions if you choose a workout video.) All you need to do is connect your headphones and hit play, and you’ll receive audio instructions from your personal trainer for your workout, whether it’s on the treadmill, lifting your dumbbells or doing yoga.
One thing we love about Aaptiv is the variety of music. Playlists from every genre help keep your workout routine feeling fresh. Plus, with a social community that allows you to support other Aaptiv members as you reach your goals together, you’ll have constant support on every step of your journey.
- Large variety of classes
- Option to toggle between audio and audio/video instruction
- Social community for engagement and support
- After free trial ends, users are billed for one year, and users report cancellation can be difficult
- Advanced workout tracking for any type of outdoor cardio
- 4.7/5 star rating on Apple, 4.5/5 star rating on Google Play
- 30-day free trial
- Best for those who enjoy outdoor cardio training
Running apps help you optimize your time on the road, and Strava is built for the outdoorsman. It allows you to easily track your running, hiking and cycling workouts wherever the road takes you. If you’re not sure where to go on your next run, you can download routes from the Strava community.
The Strava app is compatible with most fitness watches and GPS watches, and you can use it to track your distance, pace, elevation and calories burned. It’s ideal for endurance athletes of any kind or those who simply want to track a weekend bike ride.
Strava also offers a premium plan that starts at $7.99/month, which unlocks personalized coaching plans, advanced metrics and real-time feedback on your workout while you’re on the road.
- Advanced metrics and detailed workout logs
- Compatible with most smart watches
- Strong community
- Many of the best features are locked behind a subscription, and the free version is a bit limited
- Detailed workout tracking for weight lifters
- 4.8/5 star rating on Apple, 4.6/5 star rating on Google Play
- Free to use, with premium features available
- Best for those who primarily lift weights and want to build more muscle
If you’re looking to build muscle through strength training, Jefit is our pick for the best weightlifting workout app. With Jefit you can record your lifting session, find new workout plans to follow and make sure you continue to progress toward your muscle and strength goals.
You can build your own custom weight training plans—adding the exercises, sets and reps you’re using—with the thousands of built-in exercises. The app even includes a built-in timer you can use to track your reps and rest periods or perform interval training.
As you record your workouts, you’ll be able to see a detailed breakdown of your training, showing which muscle groups you’re hitting the most to make sure you stay balanced.
We recommend this app if you already have a gym membership or have a home gym with equipment like dumbbells and kettlebells.
The app is free to use, with a premium option ($12.99/month) that allows you to select a pre-made workout plan, track advanced stats and compare your workouts with your friends.
- Build your own workouts
- Track every set and rep and see your progress over time
- Premium plan includes workout programs you can follow
- Can be time-consuming to build your own workouts in the app
How to Choose the Best Workout App for Men to Meet Your Fitness Goals?
Before choosing an app, consider what exactly you’re looking for. If you love exercising and simply want to follow a workout plan, you probably don’t need much live coaching. You’ll want to choose an app that just provides workouts to follow.
For those struggling with motivation, an app with a community, or even a one-on-one coach, may provide that extra push of accountability you need to reach your goals and build an exercise routine.
Also figure out what your fitness goals are, and make sure the app or online trainer is the right fit for you. Some apps are focused on running, some are focused on strength training and some include a mix of both, so be sure to choose one that matches your goals.
How We Chose the Best Workout Apps for Men
For this guide, we looked at the cost, services provided, user experience, reviews and included features for the most popular fitness apps for men on the market. We made sure to include apps for a variety of budgets, fitness levels and training goals in our final selections. The apps on our list work for virtual training, workout classes, weight lifting, outdoor training and more.
What is the best workout app to get ripped?
Almost any workout app should help you improve your muscle mass if you’re diligent about strength training and a healthy diet. All of the apps in our guide can help you improve your strength, and following a healthy diet can reduce surface fat that covers muscle.
Do workout apps work?
Absolutely—all of these apps provide high-quality instruction that’s easy for most to follow. Remember, the key to seeing results is putting in the work. It’s recommended that adults get 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and two days of muscle strengthening activity per week.
What’s the best workout app for beginners?
All of the apps on our list are accessible for beginners, but if you’re new to working out, having a coach to keep you motivated and on task is the way to go. Future is a great example of this coaching model. If you’re looking for guidance to build your exercise routine, Nike Training Club or Aaptiv might be the apps for you. Fiit and ClassPass are good for those who want try different kinds of classes to see what they enjoy most.
Is a virtual trainer as good as a real-life trainer?
A virtual trainer can design your fitness plan and offer coaching and instruction just like a trainer at your local gym. You can also connect with your virtual trainer on the go and do your workouts from anywhere. The main difference is that real life trainers can correct your form or spot you, so if you’re not comfortable training alone, you’ll likely want to choose an in-person trainer.
What if I don’t workout with my phone?
That’s okay! Most of the apps in this guide are compatible with smart watches like the Apple Watch, allowing you to follow the workout even without your phone.
An app can’t workout for you, but if you’re willing to do the work, every one of the apps in our guide is a fantastic option to help you take your fitness to the next level.
Whether you’re a runner, hiker, beginner or advanced weight lifter looking to bulk up and add more muscle, you’re sure to find an effective workout app for men in our guide.
Prices are accurate and items in stock as of publish time.