The Alaska man survived an nearly deadly encounter with a brown bear that bit his head

Minish was alone and about half a mile from the road when the bear attacked him, the report said.

“All of a sudden, I looked up and there was this nice-sized brown bear about 30 feet away,” Minish told CNN subsidiary KTUU. “And it looked at me and it came to me. And I thought, ‘Great’.”

Minish tried to hide behind some bushes, but they didn’t offer any protection, he told KTUU. He fell backwards as the bear approached him and grabbed his lower jaw to prevent it from biting him.

“Because if you grab a dog’s lower jaw, it can’t bite you,” he told KTUU. “So I punched a hole in my hand with my molar, but he couldn’t close his mouth. And all he did was scratch my hand with his upper one.”

But the bear shook his head and threw away his hand.

“When he did that, he lunged, grabbed my head, took the first bite, relaxed, and took the second bite which was stronger,” he told KTUU. “And then he cracked all the bones and part of my head.”

The bear released him and Minish rolled over on the floor to protect his face and head with his arms until he left, KTUU reported.

He used his T-shirt and survey vest to stop the bleeding from his head, but still had to wipe blood from his eyes and phone to call for help, he told KTUU.

Soldiers and local fire and rescue personnel were able to track down Minish and take him to the Alaska Pipeline Road. A medical crew redesigned his bandages there and took him to Gulkana Airport, KTUU reported.

He was flown to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, which is about 70 miles away. A hospital spokesman said Minish was in good shape Thursday.

He had trouble sleeping Tuesday night after considering the abuse, but told KTUU that he is trying to stay in a good mood and even joking with the nurses.

“I try to keep it as optimistic as possible. I try not to wallow in pity,” he told KTUU. “It’s been of no use to me since I decided to live.

The bear left the area and was not found.

“No effort is being made to locate the bear in this incident as it is not currently considered a threat to public safety,” Austin McDaniel told CNN in an email.

Minish told KTUU that the bear just walked and did nothing wrong.

“It was just a wrong place, a wrong time for me and the bear,” he told KTUU. “And everything happened so quickly.”

Comments are closed.