One of the biggest tasks you have when you move is packing your things. This is a task that is best started early, but where often too little time is spent on it. If you can pack your things well, you can also unpack them much more easily and in a more structured way, which ultimately saves you a lot of time. If you use the following step-by-step plan, you can make packing your things as smooth as possible.
Step 1: the preparations
First of all, you will have to prepare for packing. There are a number of factors to consider.
- Arranging the boxes : of course you need moving boxes . You can collect these yourself by visiting supermarkets, but real moving boxes are stronger and often easier to carry. You can buy new moving boxes, you can rent moving boxes, but perhaps the best option is to buy them second-hand. You then lose an average of € 0.50 per box and then simply resell them.
- The number of boxes : then you have to determine how many moving boxes you need. You can count on about 20 boxes per person. If you live together, 40 to 60 boxes will suffice. A family with two children needs at least 70 to 90 boxes to store all their belongings.
- A list : then you make a list per room of what you want to keep, what you want to throw away, what you want to sell and what you want to give to the thrift store or to friends. You can use this opportunity to run through your stuff and be really critical about what you do and don’t need.
- What else do you need : In addition to the boxes, you can purchase a number of rolls of strong tape, enough pens, bubble wrap or other protective materials and labels to write down information about what is in the box.
Step 2: packing your things
In principle, you can start packing early and as long as you label your boxes properly, this is a good plan. For example, start with the attic, where you have things in the storage that you don’t use in everyday life. You can also empty the shed considerably and possibly also the basement or garage. You can actually find out and pack everything that you don’t use every day. For the rest of your stuff, use the following tips.
- Room by room : The best way to pack is to do this per room. Bring some boxes into the room and start packing. You can number the box if necessary, write on it what is in it and which room it should go to. You then leave the moving boxes in the room for a while, because there is a big chance that you have not been able to empty everything yet. Pack the last things on the day before the move. If you are from New York, and looking for NYC Moving company? It is possible to choose any moving company that offers professional, stress-free, and affordable moving services in NYC.
- What to do last : There are some items that you should pack last, such as cleaning products so that you can still clean the house after the items have been removed. You will have to use toilet paper until the last minute and in some rooms it can be useful to leave your lamps on. It is also best to pack your toiletries, a few towels, some clothes, food and other essentials last. If you do this in the same box, you will have it immediately at hand at the destination and you no longer have to search for it.
- Heavy Items : It is important not to overload your boxes with heavy items such as books. A box of 30 kilos is already quite difficult to carry. Place heavy items at the bottom of the box and fill it with, for example, towels or bedding. This makes carrying it easier and you can distribute the weight better over the boxes.
- Fragile items : protect your fragile items with bubble wrap or other protective material. Make sure you write on the box that it contains fragile items so that the movers can take this into account. You can also use newspaper, towels, socks, or sheets for this.
- Appliances : The refrigerator must be allowed at least 24 hours to defrost and must be transported upright. It is best to empty your washing machine properly, because it almost always contains residual water from the last wash. It can also be useful to photograph the cabling of your stereo, video and computer equipment, so that you can easily put it back in the new home.
Step 3: packing the truck
Now it is time to pack the truck. You do this by starting with the large pieces of furniture and filling the gaps with smaller objects and boxes. Use lashing straps and moving blankets to secure your belongings and to prevent damage. Also make sure you have chosen the correct dimensions for your moving van. When in doubt, always choose a larger size as this is cheaper and easier than driving twice.
Step 4: unload the car again
Once you have arrived at the point of destination, the car must be unloaded again. If you have labeled the boxes and possibly the furniture correctly, the movers will immediately place them in the correct room in the new house. You can also ask them to put the furniture pieces in their final place, so that you do not have to work with it again. If your refrigerator has been moved horizontally, leave it upright for at least 12 hours before switching it on. Now you can start unpacking and enjoy your new home. Your move has officially gone well and has finally been completed.
Comments are closed.