Lifeless Afghan physique discovered within the touchdown gear of a army jet because it exited Kabul airport

A Pentagon spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The Washington Post reported the news first.

The Department of Defense temporarily froze military and civil flights to clear the tarmac from the desperate civilians who stormed the airfield, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters on Monday.

While Kirby was unable to confirm that an investigation was underway into civilian deaths related to C-17 flights leaving the airport, he told reporters on Monday that he expected the department to investigate the incident.

The Pentagon has so far sent around 5,000 additional soldiers to Kabul to secure the airport so thousands of American citizens, embassy workers and vulnerable Afghans can safely exit the country. Officials expected the US to have 3,000 troops on the airport floor by Monday; the rest would fly in in the next few days.

The U.S. resumed operations from the airport late Monday, allowing C-17s carrying Marines and soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division to land in the country, according to Maj. Gen. Hank Taylor, the joint staff’s assistant director for regional operations and operations Troop leadership.

Earlier in the day, US forces responded to “enemy threats” after gunfire broke out in two separate incidents, killing two armed men, Kirby said. A U.S. soldier was injured in the incident, he said, but was unable to confirm the person’s status late Monday.

Meanwhile, more than 600 Afghans crowded another C-17 – a number believed to be one of the most frequently flown in the military’s giant cargo plane, Defense One reported.

Comments are closed.