With families much more at home than they have been in years past, having a good home health kit on hand is more important than ever. Especially since we should try to avoid a trip to the overcrowded hospitals during these difficult times. Here are some things I keep in my family’s helpful home health kit. Some of these articles were recommended to me by my own mother, other mothers I know, and some by my blog readers as well. Look here…
For home injuries, muscle aches & more
* Boirons Arnicare Gel is my mother’s favorite treatment for injuries from bumps, falls, overexertion and other mishaps. I agree, so I keep our home health package well stocked with Boiron’s Arnicare Gel. The non-greasy, non-perfumed gel is made with a mountain daisy called arnica montana, which has been used for pain relief for centuries. The gel relieves muscle pain and stiffness and reduces discoloration from bruising. It is a homeopathic medicine that is widely used in stores like Walmart, CVS, Target, Walgreens, Whole Foods and Sprouts, as well as natural product stores and online retailers. More information is available at Arnicare.com.
For colds, flu and sore throats
* Throat Coat Herbal Tea & Raw Manuka Honey – My daughter’s combo for sore throats, laryngitis, and other throat diseases combines Manuka honey (any brand) with Throat Coat Herbal Tea. Many grandmothers before us used honey for a sore throat, so this is a proven remedy. Manuka honey costs more, but the helpful antibacterial properties make it a more effective remedy than regular honey. Take a teaspoon of manuka honey alone or with a good herbal tea. Our first choice is Traditional Medicinal Organic Throat Coat. I buy both products from Whole Foods.
*** VERY IMPORTANT: Never give honey to a child under one year old. It can cause botulism. Also, make sure your child doesn’t have a bee allergy. ***
Perfect for households with children
* Band-Aid Infection Defense is a great product for parents as the bandage comes with the ointment already on the adhesive. One less step to treat an injury to a child who is finding it difficult to sit still. I wish this type of patch existed when my kids were little! Sold in drug stores and grocery stores.
For dry skin diseases
* Purely Northwest Tea Tree Oil Foot and Body Cream – Finding tea tree oil in a lotion was a huge help around our home. Our entire family has dealt with dry skin and mild eczema, and all of the excessive hand washing due to the pandemic has made our skin drier. This is the best lotion I’ve found for hands, feet, elbows, and more. I discovered this on Amazon. I buy it on Amazon for $ 10.
For sinus problems
* Kneipp Aromatherapy Eucalyptus Bubble Bath & Bath Oil – For patients with sinus infections like me, try a drop of this bath oil in your bath as well as the bubble bath in a bath or steamy shower. The trick is to get the eucalyptus aroma. This helps and soothes my sinuses every time. I buy both from Amazon. I buy the small bottle of Kneipp bath oil on Amazon for $ 20 and the bubble bath is also for $ 15 on Amazon.
What are your favorite home remedies? Share in the comments section how we love to help each other stay healthy with helpful home health kit ideas. For more wellness tips, recipes and more, visit my blog at managemoms.com. I wish you wellness and safety.