RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The COVID-19 pandemic simultaneously is fueling the rise in digital adoption and a growing demand for health care services, a result being technology and health care jobs remain at a premium in the Triangle’s job market.
As WRAL TechWire reported last week, the North Carolina Technology Association’s latest IT Job Trends Report shows a 42% statewide surge in tech jobs since July 2020. In Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, IT jobs rose over 40% since this time last year. Software developers, IT project managers and computer systems engineers were the top three occupations in July, and the demand for hard skills like analysis, agile and configuring have surged well over 1,000% in the last year.
Health care sector jobs are also soaring. According to the NCWorks jobs database, WakeMed Health and Hospitals and the UNC Health Care System are hiring over 1,000 workers each in Wake County, and UNC Rockingham Health Care is adding more than 550 employees in Orange County.
Overall, national job sites show a mix of gains and losses in local job postings over the last week. Glassdoor has 10,745 fewer jobs across the Triangle area compared to this time last week. Adzuna shows 3,887 fewer jobs in Wake County and 4,561 fewer jobs in Raleigh from a week ago. Dice.com, which tracks tech-focused jobs, shows a drop of 791 job postings in Durham.
However, LinkedIn shows 885 more jobs in Raleigh and 407 more jobs in Durham compared to our count in last week’s Jobs Report. Indeed.com also added 363 jobs in Raleigh, 266 jobs in Durham and 193 jobs in Chapel Hill last week.
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Search Sites
Here’s an overview of the number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 32,780 jobs (-3,887 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 15,827 (-4,561)
- ⇓ Durham County: 9,355 (-638)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 14,588 (-15)
- ⇓ Durham: 14,341 (-791)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 14,072 (-48)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 40,382 jobs across the Triangle area (-10,745)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 15,644 (+363)
- ⇑ Durham: 7,998 (+266)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,211 (+193)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 26,919 (+885)
- ⇑ Durham: 12,422 (+407)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,624 (-60)
- Manpower (20-mile radius):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19 (+2)
- ⇓ Durham: 13 (-1)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 11 (-2)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 35,747 (-171)
- ⇓ Durham: 13,452 (-283)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,914 (+65)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (220 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,719 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (281 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 60 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 25 results in Durham and 17 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Only one new job was added over the last week: Medtech firm Hillrom posted a listing for a senior software engineer focused on video communications in Cary.
Here’s a recap of job listings from last week’s Jobs Report:
- Kymera International, a specialty materials provider, is hiring a marketing communication manager in Durham.
- Hillrom seeks a senior human resources business partner and a global marketing manager (remote option) in Cary.
- North Carolina State University is looking to add a marketing writer to its University Communications and Marketing office.
- The Diversity Movement is hiring a marketing director in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 212 jobs at 30 companies.
Several jobs were posted in the last seven days:
- Insurtech startup Policygenius, which continues to expand hiring at its Durham headquarters, is hiring a case management team lead, a client experience associate, a senior SEC reporting associate, a product design director and two client relations specialists.
- Design and development firm Thoughtbot posted several remote jobs, including a product management director, a product developer, a React native developer and two Ruby on Rails developers.
- Raleigh-based edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a research associate.
- Edtech startup Upswing seeks a remote marketing director.
- Furniture company Nugget posted a job for a manufacturing process engineer in Butner.
Bio Jobs Hub
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
How to reboot a career: Army vet retools skillset through BioWork program
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs, with 594 openings at 29 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- North Carolina Central University in Durham seeks an IT director, a medical/nursing assistant, two administrative support associates, a career counseling director, an assistant/associate professor, an associate professor/chair, a building environmental services technician and a facility maintenance supervisor.
- Blue Cross NC is hiring for several positions in Durham, including business intelligence analyst, analytics manager, M&A finance principal, senior payroll analyst, Medicare engagement manager, senior strategic advisors in Medicare, senior product manager, enterprise strategy advisors, client delivery expert, commercial markets strategic advisor, business analysis manager, digital product manager, planning and communication specialist, managing actuary, enterprise business analyst, medical team lead, manager of strategy and new ventures, and assistant actuary manager.
- Truist added postings across its Triangle-area locations. Open positions include senior relationship banker, tellers/senior tellers, universal banker, relationship bankers, remote senior fiduciary tax liaison, branch coordinator, commercial client specialist, software engineers, financial services specialists, data analytics and business intelligence senior consultant/developer, lead data systems engineer, branch leader, cybersecurity engineer, wealth firm team director, wealth advisors, assistant division director of investment services, wealth foundations and endowments administration operations analyst.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) added listings for a news reporter and a breaking news photographer in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union is hiring an account manager in Carrboro.
- Bank of America added listings for a few positions at its offices in Raleigh and Durham, including a consumer investments financial solutions advisor, a consumer investments financial solutions advisor, and wealth management client associates.
- Google posted a range of jobs at its new Triangle office, including several software engineers across several platforms, engineering managers, a technical solutions consultant, an account manager, lead technical program managers, and a tech lead in cloud networking security.
- William Peace University in Raleigh seeks a DEI graduate assistant for programming, a public safety officer, an assistant/associate professor of exercise and sport science, and an assistant/associate professor of mathematics.
- Self-Help Credit Union is hiring an accounts payable associate, a DPI development associate and a director of impact management and assessment in Durham.
- Forward Cities seeks a managing director and a marketing and communications coordinator in Durham.
- Bland Landscaping is hiring an estate gardening maintenance tech in Cary.
- The A.J. Fletcher Foundation added a listing for a communications and engagement director in Raleigh.
- Nugget seeks a manufacturing process engineer in Butner.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since Aug. 30), over a dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Tax manager and tax analyst at Grifols in Durham
- Technical applications liaison at EpiCypher in Durham
- Analytical science and associate scientist at Lindy Biosciences in Durham
- Lab technician intern and product development engineer intern at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. posted several new jobs at its Triangle locations, including senior technicians, lead technicians, associate productions technicians, an associate environmental monitoring specialist, a senior engineering specialist, an operations manager, a senior instrumentation technician and a QC analyst.
- NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program has two military internships for maintenance mechanics and warehouse operations interns at Seqirus in Holly Springs.
- Local staffing firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted job listings for its clients:
- Microbiology research associate for an RTP-area biotech company
- Training coordinator/e-learning specialist for an RTP-area medical association
- Office coordinator/admin for a professional medical association in RTP
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Several new jobs were added last week:
- SMS marketing software provider Tatango is looking to hire a software developer in Raleigh.
- Industrial PC manufacturer OnLogic seeks a senior e-commerce developer and a senior product manager in Cary.
- Google is hiring a software engineer focusing on machine learning system infrastructure in the Raleigh-Durham area.
- Supply chain software firm Optricity Corporation is hiring a software developer in Durham.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 3,750 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System: 2,679 jobs
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals: 1,694
- Deloitte: 1,136
- UNC Health Care System: 1,086
- NC State University: 956
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 546
- Facebook: 507
- EY: 477
- IBM: 476
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International: 461
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- IBM: 1,713
- Duke University: 1,488
- Duke Careers: 712
- IQVIA: 693
- Laboratory Corporation of America: 497 (Side news: Labcorp recently raised its minimum hourly pay to $15)
- Durham Public Schools: 482
- Duke University and Duke University Health System: 385
- Cisco Systems: 249
- Cree Wolfspeed: 235
- BAYADA Home Health Care: 224
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System: 1,096
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 659
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 559
- UNC Health: 410
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 329
- ARAMARK Corporation: 159
- Orange County Schools: 137
- Amazon: 101
- Harris Teeter: 85
- AHS NurseStat: 72
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 146 positions at 27 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last seven days:
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, seeks a remote senior implementation consultant and several senior software engineers across Android, iOS, Java, Java/React and front-end development in Raleigh.
- Edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a research associate in Raleigh.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm in Durham, is hiring a scientific operations specialist.
- Raleigh startup Pendo added a listing for a professional services solutions engineer.
Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Aug. 31) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire in late-August that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area and anticipates another 10 new hires across sales, product development and marketing before the end of the year. The firm already has about 35 employees in the Triangle area.
Its latest openings are for a product marketing manager and a professional services manager. Read more and apply here.
The boost in hiring comes as the company just made the Inc. 5000 list and is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says, “This level of growth isn’t as common in a more mature company, but we are actively hiring to continue a high growth trajectory and support the international program and global engagement priorities of higher education, both in North Carolina and nationwide.”
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team in Durham. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Product manager
Read more and apply here.
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
CRO Career Conversations: Sept. 8, 5:30-7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, attendees will hear from contract research organization (CRO) industry professionals as they discuss their career paths and responsibilities.
TriWiSTEM’s Ultimate Resume-Ready Review for College Women: Sept. 9, 6-8 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, Triangle Women in STEM will facilitate 15-minute meetings with recruiters, who will provide advice and coaching on how participants can improve their resumes.
Amazon Career Day: Sept. 15, 12 p.m. (online)
This free virtual event gives job seekers the opportunity to hear from recruiting experts and book a career coaching session with Amazon recruiters. Amazon is hiring at its warehouse sites in Durham, Raleigh, Garner and Morrisville.
Amazon (55,000), Walmart (20,000) boost hiring plans despite COVID ‘Delta’
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: Sept. 29, 9:30-10:15 a.m. (online)
This webinar will lead job seekers and employers through a tour of Premier Virtual, the platform NC TECH uses to host its online career events, including its upcoming Virtual Tech Job Expo on Oct. 20.
NC State Ag & Sciences Virtual Career Expo: Sept. 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
Hosted by NC State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Sciences, this virtual career fair will gather over 1,000 students from 82 undergraduate and graduate programs to meet with employers.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: