We include products that we believe will be useful to our readers. If you buy from links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here is our process.
Adjustable dumbbells provide a strength training device for people with limited storage space. NordicTrack’s Select-a-Weight dumbbell set allows people to adjust their weight based on their fitness level and the desired training intensity.
Please note that the author of this article has not tried these products. All information presented is purely research-based.
NordicTrack started manufacturing home fitness equipment in 1975. It is known for its:
It offers a subscription app, iFit, which allows people to access various exercise programs. There’s also a free 30-day trial for people who download the app.
At the time of publication, NordicTrack has a rating of 1.27 out of 5 stars from 391 reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website. The website states that NordicTrack is not BBB accredited but has an A + rating from the organization. Some reviews report damaged products and that agents were unable to replace them.
TrustPilot assigns an average rating of 3.1 out of 5 stars to 874 reviews. Some negatives concern delayed deliveries and customers not receiving their products. However, positive reviews praise the quality of iFit as individuals have access to various exercise programs.
Find out more about NordicTrack here.
The Select-a-Weight dumbbell set from NordicTrack contains 15 weights in one dumbbell. Weight levels can be set from 10 to 55 pounds (lb). The handlebar weighs 10 lb.
The dumbbell set includes storage compartments and a quick adjustment system.
The device comes with a one-year iFit membership that includes an extensive library of workouts. At the time of publication, the 12 month membership is $ 396. This allows customers to add up to four user profiles to membership, which can be helpful if they live with friends or relatives who also want to do sports.
NordicTrack adjustable dumbbells have a P65 warning label that indicates the product may contain chemicals that can cause cancer or congenital abnormalities.
People who buy home fitness equipment from NordicTrack can benefit from the following advantages:
- A 30-day return policy: This allows customers to return their products for a refund or replacement within 30 days if they are not satisfied with the device.
- Free consultations: People can book free consultations with the company’s fitness advisors. The consultants can help you choose the right product for your needs or discuss payment options, assembly and delivery, and warranty information.
- Shipment tracking: Customers can use the order number emailed to them to track their order status.
Some other products that people can use for strength training exercises are:
- Kettlebells: These come with a handle and are dome-shaped. One article found that kettlebells can improve muscle strength and maximum oxygen uptake. Find out more about adjustable kettlebells here.
- Resistance bands: These are elastic ligaments that can appeal to all muscle groups. They can be suitable for people with limited space.
- Medicine balls: These are weighted balls that individuals can use for crunches, pushups, and other exercises.
Other companies that make adjustable dumbbells and weight training equipment include:
- Bowflex: This company has been in business since 1986 and is known for its treadmills, bikes, and weights. It offers financing plans for customers who prefer to pay in monthly installments. Find out more about Bowflex dumbbells here.
- PowerBlock: The company makes adjustable dumbbells, kettlebells, and fitness accessories such as stands and benches. Individuals can find videos showing different types of workouts on the company website. Find out more about PowerBlock dumbbells here.
- ProForm: In addition to adjustable dumbbells, the company sells cross trainers, rowers, treadmills, bicycles and fitness mirrors. Customers can also subscribe to the iFit app, which provides various exercise programs. Learn more about ProForm here.
- Core fitness at home: This exercise bike company offers its customers to download its smartphone app, which offers various training courses.
As with any other fitness machine, there are benefits and risks associated with these fitness machines.
Benefits of weight training
The American Council on Exercise (ACE) states that dumbbells:
- increase the flexibility of muscle tissue
- Allow individuals to focus on one arm or one leg at a time
- offer a variety of exercises and different movement patterns
- train different muscle groups
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends doing strength training exercises at least twice a week. This helps to strengthen the muscles, lower the risk of injury, and increase the metabolic rate. It results in a burn of calories even when a person is not exercising.
The AHA also says regular exercise can reduce the risk of a heart attack. However, people who have had a heart attack or stroke should seek medical advice before engaging in exercise. This will ensure that the activity is safe and suitable for you.
Risks and warming up
The AHA emphasizes the importance of pre-exercise warm-up. This prevents injuries and prepares the body for a workout. Warming up dilates the blood vessels so that the muscles have enough oxygen.
According to the ACE, people need different warm-up exercises depending on the type of exercise. It recommends that those who do resistance training use dynamic stretches to move their muscles. Warm-up exercises can include arm circles and ankle rolls.
In addition, Harvard Medical School suggests that people slowly increase their weight depending on the intensity of their exercise. It adds that individuals should relax their muscles for around 48 hours. Weight training equipment can tear muscle tissue, but muscle strength improves as the tissue heals.
NordicTrack makes home fitness equipment for those who prefer or need to exercise indoors.
It offers adjustable dumbbells for people who want to do strength training exercises. These can be suitable for different training intensities as users can adjust the weight they are lifting.
There is evidence that strength training exercises can improve muscle strength and flexibility. However, people who have had a heart attack or stroke should see a doctor before starting any exercise. This will ensure that the exercise is safe for their condition.