4 individuals killed in Tulsa Medical Middle taking pictures

A man carrying a rifle and handgun opened fire Wednesday afternoon at a medical office building in Tulsa, Oklahoma, killing four people and injuring several others before apparently taking his own life in the latest mass shooting that took place across the country shock, so the authorities said.

In an interview late Wednesday night, Tulsa Police Department Captain Richard Meulenberg said the attack was not accidental.

“This wasn’t a person who just decided to find a hospital full of random people,” he said. “He made a conscious choice to come here and his actions were conscious.” Captain Meulenberg declined to say more about the shooter’s motive.

Police did not reveal the identity of the shooter, but at an earlier news conference, Deputy Police Commissioner Eric Dalgleish said he was between 35 and 40 years old.

Police received a call about a shooting at 4:52 p.m. and arrived at the scene four minutes later, Chief Dalgleish said. All of the shooting is believed to have taken place in a section of the second floor of the Natalie Medical Building on the Saint Francis Hospital campus, he said. The sound of gunfire drew officers to the area.

“There’s an orthopedic center there, an orthopedic practice, but I don’t know if that takes up the whole floor or if there are other offices on the floor,” he said, adding that it was “at least part of the scene.” ”

When police officers arrived at the second floor entrance, the shooting stopped, Captain Meulenberg said in a telephone interview. Officers entered and immediately found a victim, and when they continued their search, they found the body of the gunman, who appeared to have shot himself with a pistol, he said.

Chief Dalgleish said the victims could have been a combination of workers and patients. None of the injured suffered life-threatening injuries, police said, and no officers were injured in the attack, in which the gunman fired both weapons.

Captain Meulenberg said the number of people injured by gunfire appeared “very small” but that there were other injuries linked to hundreds of people fleeing the building at the time of the attack. “Imagine a scene of mass chaos,” he said. “Guns can be heard ringing out.”

The Muskogee Police Department said it had been warned by the Tulsa Police Department that the shooter may have left a bomb at an apartment building in Muskogee, about 50 miles southeast of Tulsa. Muskogee police evacuated the home and notified those in the area to stay indoors, the department said.

A bomb squad was en route to the residence late Wednesday and Muskogee Police were working to obtain a search warrant to search the home.

Tulsa Mayor GT Bynum said at the press conference that some of the victims’ families had not yet been informed of what had happened.

“This was more than any other agency that worked to save the lives of the people of this city,” said Mr. Bynum. He commended “the broad spectrum of first responders who have not hesitated to respond to this act of violence today.”

The White House said President Biden was briefed on the shooting, which came just eight days after 19 students and two teachers were shot dead in a mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, and 18 days after a gunman killed 10 people at a supermarket took place in Buffalo, New York

When asked for his response to Tulsa’s inclusion on the list of American cities that have experienced mass shootings in recent weeks, Mr. Bynum said his “thoughts are in here with the victims, many of whom don’t even know about it yet.”

“If we want to have a political discussion, that’s something we’re going to have in the future, but not tonight, not tonight,” Mr Bynum said.

Cliff Robertson, the chief executive of Saint Francis Hospital, said: “I think we’re going to have a very bumpy road ahead of us.”

“But there are over 10,000 people who are part of Saint Francis’ health care system who give their lives every day to care for those in need, to care for everyone in need, and this senseless, horrific, incomprehensible act is going to happen.” don’t change that,” said Mr. Robertson.

Gov. Kevin Stitt of Oklahoma said in a statement Wednesday night that today’s shooting in Tulsa was “a senseless act of violence and hatred.”

Before the press conference, Captain Meulenberg said the shooting had stopped and authorities were searching the building “floor by floor, room by room.”

“It’s a catastrophic scene in there right now,” Captain Meulenberg told reporters in front of the hospital.

Tulsa Police Department Chief Wendell Franklin said on Twitter that police were responding to an “active gunman incident” near East 61st Street and South Yale Avenue in Tulsa and adjacent to Saint Francis Hospital.

“Please stay clear of the area and avoid all emergency vehicles while we address this response,” Chief Franklin said.

The Tulsa Police Department said on Twitter that it has established a family reunion facility at Memorial High School.

Jason Bailey contributed reporting, and Jack Begg and Sheelagh McNeill contributed research.

Comments are closed.